Saturday, July 18, 2009

go green, you cant go wrong

My love for the environment is deep and true. I try to go green in everything i do. My principle is simple- Go green and you can't go wrong. At first i just wanted to experience nature at its finest. I became a member of a mountaineering club in college and went berserk with it. Almost every week our group would go climb up mountains, forge rivers, go deep underground in caves and sometimes go literally lost in forests. AHHH freedom! That was the good old days. When i finally went out to the real world and joined the workforce, I realized I miss the good old days so much that I couldn't stay with one company. I went around different employers, different industries, different cities but from time to time would go back to my roots which is being a farmer in tuned with nature. You see my parents are born in a family of farmers. My mother is a fourth generation farmer. My father's family owned a rice mill in Bulacan. Fortunately, I inherited from my father my businessman's spirit and from my mother, my being a greeen thumb. My stubborness unfortunately but very proudly I developed on my own.

Every now and then I would engage myself in farming. Either I would venture into livestock or go plowing the fields. Coincidentally our farm is aptly named "Ventures Farms" which is actually a network of small farms in Bulacan, Bataan and Kalookan. Each of these farms practice integrated farming which means we are green. We recycle our waste products. We turn rubbish to fertilizers and try to convert by-products into something useful. One good example is our use of grass and foliage cuttings. in our farm in Bataan we planted improved grass/ foliage varieties such as napier and cow peas. These plants not oly directly serve as food for our livestock but are also able to hold soil very well thus preventing erosion. Those plants that tend to overgrow are made into silage. Siling improves plant matter by allowing beneficial bacteria and enzymes to flourish therefore multiplying its nutritional value several-folds. What others may perceive as simply grass cuttings -farm wastes/rubbish is converted into a nutritional supplement that helps lower overhead costs and upkeep of livestock. How does it help the environment? It eliminates wastes, minimizes materials to incinerate, lowers your farm's green house gas emition makes the planet cooler which eventurally helps your plants grow better.

For tips regarding siling and other green practices you can incorporate in your homes/ farms/ workplace, please dont hesitate to ask. Shoot me an e-mail and i'll be happy to give suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment